IMPORTANT! We will not be offering a Summer 2018 program. Our Institute is being repaired after Hurricane Harvey. We expect to be back for Summer 2019. Check back in Fall 2018 for updates. We have left the information from our last program below (italicised) as an example of how our program works, for those of you anticipating applications for Summer 2019. Thank you for your patience!
Links for both the student application form and the professor recommendation form are at the bottom of this page.
Program dates: May 31 – August 4, 2017. Application deadline is February 13, 2017.
CLICK HERE to download detailed application instructions. Read these instructions carefully before beginning your application!
- Students must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or U.S. permanent residents.
- Students must be enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree during the semester following the REU program.
- High school graduates, transfer students, and students enrolled at community colleges are eligible to apply.
- International students and graduating seniors are not eligible for this program.
This program is designed for students who want to gain research experience in marine science. Students do not need to have prior experience conducting research to participate in the program.
A complete application consists of:
- Completed Application
- Unofficial college transcripts
- Two recommendation letters from professors
Questions about the application process should be emailed to UTMSI.REU@gmail.com.
STUDENTS: Click here to access the Student Application. You will need to upload an electronic copy (pdf or Word format) of your unofficial transcripts in this form.
PROFESSORS: Click here for Recommendation Form. You will need to upload an electronic copy (pdf or Word format) of your recommendation letter to this form.
Deadline for applications is February 13, 2017.
- Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. The NSF contact for this program is Lisa Rom, elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.