Raising baby fish is harder than I thought

When they told me i was going to be raising fish I thought it would have been easy. I had some goldfish for a couple months and they practically raised their selves but this was something completely different. First off, larvae fish are extremely sensitive so water temperature, and the amount of air they are receiving must be checked and regulated daily. If they are then lucky to make it to three days after hatching, which for me has been unlikely, then feeding them is another factor. We feed them rotifers that have been enriched with fatty acids and another group we feed them rotifers that have been enriched with fatty acids and probiotics. The rotifers culture can suddenly crash because of a bacterial infection or some unknown factor. Same with the live algae we use for the study. We have not yet gotten them to survive past five days because of either poor egg quality or hard metal in the water. We recent drain the tanks and refilled them again so if anymore more fail water quality can be ruled out. Other than that everything has been great.

Posted in student projects