As I reach the halfway point of the program I am realizing that time is flying by, yet I have learned so much about the research process and I have experienced both the lab and the field aspect of this research endeavor. A couple of weeks ago my lab team and I began our sampling of the freshwater tidal zone for the month of June in the Aransas and Mission rivers. I took two sediment cores from five different sites from each river, and in the lab I took 1cm and 2cm slices from each core and further divided each slice for the measurements of porosity, water content, grain size and organic matter content. For grain size, I took a quarter from each slice and ran the sediment through a series of four sieves and transferred the sieved sediment into foil pans and placed in a furnace at 60°C to dry for a few days, and later weighed. Half of each slice was put in a foil envelope, weighed and placed in the furnace to dry to later be used for organic matter measurements. It took all of my samples about a week to dry, and since the Aransas and Mission river sampling was done a week apart, I am just now getting the final dry weights for the Mission river samples. I am almost done transferring my raw data onto a spreadsheet and currently working to organize everything and calculate my grain sizes, water content and porosity. Today, I began grinding the sediment samples I dried in the foil envelopes, and soon I will began the process of measuring total organic content. Although there is so much to do and it seems like there is not enough time, in a week my team and I will head out to the rivers again for the July sampling and I will repeat all of the above again and compile my data. I am not sure if I will include the data from July in my final presentation since the time frame is small, but I do hope to finish all of my work in time to be able to contribute to the overall research with my data and findings. Stay tuned for more science to come, cheers!