Phytoplankton Community Structure of Five Estuaries

Hello everyone! I’m Lucas Martinez, born and raised in Austin Texas and proud of it! I’m currently a senior at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi in pursuit of a degree in biology with a minor in chemistry. All aspects of marine science has fascinated me for many years and I intend to pursue a master’s degree in marine biology. This summer I have the privilege of working in Dr. Zhanfei Liu’s lab.

Me reading up on some good literature for my project

In Dr. Liu’s lab, I will be working on an ongoing project analyzing suspended particles
from five estuaries, Lavaca, San Antonio, Mission, Aransas and Nueces Rivers to build phytoplankton community structure in those rivers. This will be achieved via extraction of pigments and using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) for analysis. I just received the current metadata from these estuaries detailing environmental parameters, nutrients, and samples that have already been analyzed. My next goal is to come up with a hypothesis to test between these estuaries and to practice the extraction and HPLC protocol for analysis. I am very excited to be working on this project and with the Liu lab team!

Posted in student projects