So Long, Farewell, Good-Bye

It’s hard to believe these 10 weeks are coming to an end. I’ve learned so much and have met so many wonderful people. My research has yielded some very exciting results. The DON which some research assumes to be refractory turned out to be semi-labile over longer periods of time. The bacteria responded well to the amino acid and the alanine was completely gone after only 12 hours. Actually observing the results of nitrification really gave me a better understanding of how the natural world works. By far one of the most invaluable skills I have learned is how to process and present data in a professional manner. Working with so many influential scientists has helped me to see scientific research from a new perspective. The saying “iron sharpens iron” aptly reflects how the scientists in Liu Labs have helped to hone my mind and I cannot thank them enough. I will miss my time spent here at UTMSI and I encourage any potential undergraduate student interested in marine science to apply to this REU fellowship. I’m so glad I had a chance to see this part of the country.

Posted in student projects Tagged with: , ,