Extending the Poole Inlet chronology

Hello again, everyone! We are halfway through our stay on this island, and it has been a wonderful experience so far. My research project is going smoothly, as I have just begun to extend the Poole Inlet geoduck chronology. I have crossdated the samples, making sure that the signature wide or narrow years align across the specimen. I have also checked and edited growth increment measurements made by the individuals at the North American Dendroecology Fieldweek, and looked through all of the samples from Poole Inlet that were not used in the chronology at the fieldweek. Any that were older than a century were photographed and measured in order to extend the chronology. After checking to make sure that the measurements were accurate, I ran the CASE and COFECHA programs to obtain a value for series intercorrelation and to make sure that there were no flags in the measurements. Series intercorrelation is a measure of how correlated the growth increment measurements are among the specimen. After all of this was complete, I waited for more geoduck specimen from Poole Inlet to arrive, while helping around the lab with the many projects that are being carried out. The additional geoduck samples just arrived this week, and now I will be able to extend the chronology even further by adding more specimen that are older than a century. These specimen will be useful to the chronology because they will provide a basis for climate reconstruction in the late 19th century. Little is known about the climate in the North Pacific prior to the 20th century, and analysis of these older geoduck could provide some insight. In the next few weeks, I will be taking photographs of the specimen, aging them, and measuring their growth increments. Thanks for reading, and have a happy 4th of July!

microscope pic

 

Posted in student projects

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*